Friday, April 24, 2009

Pandemic Prep

Over the last few years, we have been building up our food storage supplies. I feel pretty confident that we could take care of ourselves for quite a while if for many reasons we may not be able to purchase food.

One thing that is often overlooked is building up supplies in case of a pandemic flu outbreak. Today there is a new threat of the "swine virus. " I'm not trying to spread panic, but I have been following pandemic news for a few years now and it may not be this flu that causes a huge pandemic, but most experts agree that there will be a widespread pandemic at sometime in the future.
It reminded me to order more N95 masks. The N95 masks are certified to block flu viruses. If there is ever a worldwide pandemic, I want to be prepared to protect myself and my family for a few months at a time. I have slowly been buying supplies of masks about every other month as they are not very cheap. I found that Emergency Essentials has the adult size masks on sale. I have looked for child size masks for some time and the best I can find so far are from Med on the Net. I haven't received these child masks to see their quality yet, but I want disposable masks and not resuable ones, as to not spread the disease.
A website that I recommend for learning how to deal with a pandemic is call The Totally Ready Blog.

No comments: